Tuesday 14 August 2012

Fifty Shades of Green

Looking at my pictures, following my recent visit to RHS Wisley, I am so impressed by the garden's green areas.  Admittedly this summer's rain has made the grass grow, and the foliage of shrubs and trees is particularly lush, but green is something English Gardens do well.

Two of the small lawns, near the entrance to the garden, were particularly impressive.  I know I talk a lot about creative mowing, especially on my lawns course at www.my-garden-school.com,  but you don't often see it done quite so well. Radiating stripes from one corner transform a square of grass (immaculate I admit) into a contemporary sunburst.

Outside the new conservatory Tom Stuart Smith's planting of beech, sarcocooca and hakenochloa was looking midsummer verdant.  I really wish I was as brave about this bold planting of simple subjects it looks fantastic in any season.  Fifty shades  of green now, then emerald and parchment in winter.

The broad grass pathway through the double herbaceous borders really does emphasise the importance of green space in showing the planting off to maximum effect.  This balance between space and planting is all important in the design of a garden.  Yes this is a lot of grass, but these are big, wide borders and this garden has a lot of visitors.  In most gardens the borders are too narrow and the lawn is too big - and rarely is it fifty shades of green! Maybe now's the time to sort it #yourgardenneedsyou!


No comments:

Post a Comment