Tuesday 24 January 2012

En Garde! - Duel and the Crown!

Well this is it - time to get down to some serious thinking about Chelsea 2012.  Everyone thinks I'm really "busy with Chelsea". In fact I've talked about it a bit - Hardy Plant Society last Friday night, and Havant Inner Wheel this thursday.  Other than that "good intentions" would probably best describe my efforts to date! However, the clock is ticking and I'm off the Gloucester on Friday to talk surfaces - so guess I need to know what to surface.
So what's it all about? Well Chelsea 2012 was really born at last Chelsea - during staging week.  On the thursday I took an unprecedented break and went for lunch at The Chelsea Physic Garden with Liz (PR) and Ian and William from Beazley. All Liz's idea and I have to admit I was reluctant to think about 2012 in the midst of 2011 but I was persuaded and amidst the vases of sweet peas, sea bass and rose wine a little inspiration landed. Beazley sponsor The British Fencing Team - Liz's family are fencers - I know nothing about fencing - perfect!
However, as you know I love a challenge. Sail for Gold in conjunction with Skandia and the British sailing team was one of our great successes. At least fencing can take place in a garden, whereas sailing couldn't be further away.  
So far I can see a little formality, some spiky plants and a sensible space for live fencing action and........well that's about it. I do find when I start to tell people about it I get ideas - so that's where you come in: keep reading and following - post comments, tweet, facebook or shout encouragement - all will help!
Have I tried fencing yet? No ...........but I have been lunging regularly - watch this space.



1 comment:

  1. Art at the Edge is happy to lend a small bronze sculpture of fencing by British sculptor Sue Freeborough for the garden. See https://www.artattheedge.org/artists/category/commissioned-sculptors/sue-freeborough/

    Interested contact justin@artattheedge.org

    ReplyDelete